Add Web Store
1. Download “Chromium Web Store”
Allows us to download extensions from the official Chrome Web Store without creating or signing into a Google account. It’s not found on the Chrome Web Store. We are going to install it directly from its GitHub repo.
- Open any browser of your choice (doesn’t have to be Chromium based)
- Click here to go straight to Chromium Web Store’s latest releases page.
- Download the file Chromium.Web.Store.crx
Double check that you are downloading the correct file. It ends in
.crx; you don’t need to download any of the source code.
- Save Chromium.Web.Store.crx to a safe place. Your desktop, Documents, or Downloads folders are all good places.
2. Install Chromium Web Store
- Open your Chromium browser. Again, I’m using Ungoogled Chromium here.
- In the address bar, type
- Change Handling of extension MIME type requests to Always prompt for ins. (This makes it more user friendly to install
.crxfiles, which are the packed version of chromium extensions)
- Now, in the address bar, type
- In the top right, enable Developer mode (hint: it’s enabled when you can see buttons for “Load unpacked” and “Pack extension.”)
- Open an explorer window on your PC. Navigate to the folder where you saved Chromium.Web.Store.crx
- Drag Chromium.Web.Store.crx to your Chromium browser, like so:
- You should get a dialog box warning
Go ahead and click Add extension
- The extension should install. You should now see something like “chromium web store installed”
3. Installing other extensions (with CWS)
Chromium Web Store is installed, so now it’s time for us to download some extensions.
We’ll be downloading these extensions straight from the Chrome Web Store… with no Google account.
I’ll be installing the wide-spectrum tracker blocker, uBlock Origin in this step.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store. Search for the extension you would like to download.
- Go to the extension’s page. In the top right you should see a button Add to Chromium, as if you were logged into a Google account. (hint: you shouldn’t be logged into a Google account!)
- Seeing Add to Chromium without being logged into a Google account is a good thing. It means our Chromium Web Store extension is working!
- Click Add to Chromium. You should get a dialog box asking if you want to add extension.
- Click Add extension. The extension should install.