To give an idea of the potential demand for a “free” VPS, here’s an anecdote. I found a thread on lowendtalk forum where cloudrino.net were advertising a free VPS for life. There was a waiting list. By the time I found the thread and signed up the waiting list had 140,000 emails.
We have a reseller account with very flexible resource arranngement. We can offer VPS starting at $2.50. That’s cheap enough to be easy for the “free” option and attractive to get people in to the site. The offerings have a few OS choices like ubuntu and centos. We can configure RAM, CPUs, SSD and bandwidth pretty much however we like.
The “free” version could have things like minecraft servers and other gaming things as well as the usual VPS ranges. The people who do faucets etc are often the same people into gaming and are often too young or too poor to have bank accounts, now they don’t need one.
Cloudcone (see below in Sources) may have something that will do the job while still using cheap reseller accounts.
- https://billing.virmach.com/index.php?rp=/store/minecraft-gaming (click Show Menu for more gaming options)
- here‘s a review/best of site for gaming vps.
- GPortal seems to be a well known one for game servers.
- pebblehost has some precongigured VPS for specific games.
- Running forex software. More research is needed!
- Sysadmin Education
- Coding Education
- Web Hosting
- Private Email and Messaging
DIrect Admin VPS
A possible alternative to reseller hosting, without having to pay for a whole dedi. See satoshihost-vps1 page for more. For anyone who wants more than the hosting packages.
- We have an account with Ethernet Servers. (US only)
- Also with crowncloud. (US and EU)
- Crowncloud offers are worth checking too.
- rootnerds.com looks good, worth a try next. (July 2023)
- With rootnerds as the cheap VPS, we could use vpsag.com as an easy way to have a range from 3 dollars upwards that fits well with the 2.50 cheap one. I can’t find anyone who does the really cheap ones and has good prices for the rest.
- quickhost.uk maybe… 2 pounds for cheapest.
- hostkey.com has some cheap ones, with CyberPanel or hypervisors among other things.
- rootnerds.com has some batches of 10 we could use if we get a few customers, 2.50 would be viable here too.
Cloudcone has a similar flexibility and low cost, worth keeping as an option. They also have “snapshot emplates” so we could configure and sell e,g, game servers.
Old stuff archived.
We can provide VPS. I managed to get it working as a reseller, embedding the user’s control panel in a page in the site. This could be done a lot better when coded in professionally.
Virmach started using cloudflare and now the panel will not show in an iframe. I have written to ask them if they can fix this or offer a better way. If Virmach turns out no good, Cloudcone looks ok, configurable and starts at 15 dollars (for now, at least).
What we are “competing” with are the free VPSes we see advertised from time to time. They attract large numbers of users and only a very few actually get one.